Program OverviewWV STEM+ Family Travel Fund is aimed at removing travel-related barriers to the professional advancement of female faculty and postdoctoral scholars in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM); social sciences; and women’s studies who have substantial childcare, eldercare, or other dependent care responsibilities. The effort is being funded by a 2-year Elsevier Foundation’s New Scholars Program.
Grants of up to $800 will be awarded on a competitive basis. Priority will be given to those facing the greatest obstacles to travel and participation in events, and for whom the impact of participation will likely be the greatest. We anticipate this group will include post-docs and junior women faculty, single parents, and dual academic career couples with overlapping travel demands.
about the program, including eligible disciplines/fields, and the definition of
incremental dependent care expenses, is available below.
Addition information may be found at the FAQ page.
Eligible Dependent Care Expenses
As child and dependent care needs are widely varied, depending on the particular situation, the WV STEM+ Family Travel Fund will consider requests to support reimbursement for:
- Childcare/adult care/eldercare at a remote location
- Travel of a child/dependent to a conference or remote location with a faculty/post-doctoral attendee
- Travel for a caregiver (nanny/sitter/family member) to accompany faculty/post-doc and dependent to a conference or remote location
- A paid caregiver or caregiving service at conference/remote location
- Costs incurred for incremental caregiving – caregiving costs not
normally incurred, but resulting from the faculty/post-doc traveling
Other requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Also, important to note is that some professional societies and other organizations have on-site childcare at their meetings, though information about these programs may not be immediately obvious on their websites. Go to UMass STEM Family Travel Fund to find out more.
WV Higher Education Eligibility
- Applicants must be full-time faculty or post-doctoral associates employed full-time at a WV institution of higher education (i.e., Community & Technical College System of WV or 4-year universities/colleges)
- Applicants must be female. They must also be the primary care provider (50% or greater responsibility) for at least 1 child, elder, or special needs person, or part of a dual-academic career family.
- Applicants must be working in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) field; social sciences field, or the field of women’s studies.
Quarterly Application Deadlines
January 15, 2016 April 15, 2016 October 15, 2016
(Previous deadlines: April 30, 2015, July 15, 2015, October 15, 2015)